Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pumpkin Carving Just In Time For Halloween

I put pumpkin carving off for too long this year, I should have started at least a week earlier, but I've been so busy.




This year I took a tip from Pumpkin Carving and keyed the lid to my Jack O' Lantern. First I used a crayon to draw the line to follow to make the lid.

Then I used one of the pumpkin carving tools from the Pumpkin Masters Pumpkin Carving Kit to make the lid. When I first tried carving a pumpkin last year, I used a sharp kitchen knife, even though I had bought the Carving Kit, and it didn't take long for me to put aside the knife, and use one of the saws in kit.


This is the second year I've used the same saw kit. I can see how it would be very easy to break a blade, but if you take it easy, these tools can last you through a few pumpkins, at least.



The saw doesn't even need a starter hole, at least I didn't need one. I thrust it right in, and started sawing. I did need to saw along the path twice, then work the saw along the path as I pulled up on the lid. I think I was cutting the strings inside that were holding the lid in place.


Another cool tool in the kit is the scoop. It's simple and plastic, but perfectly designed to scrape the inside of the pumpkin. I forgot how well this worked, I used a metal spoon on the pumpkin I cut up last week. It took at least twice as long with the spoon, and my wrist and arm really ached afterwards.


The kit comes with some really nice patterns to use as carving templates. I took the easiest one, and made a reduced copy to fit the size pumpkin I was using. Just a little tape to hold it in place, and I'm all set.



Well, at least I got it done in time for Halloween, but here's what I really wanted:

Seeds! More than I got from the last pumpkin, even though this was a bit smaller. Too bad I can't get even more from a single pumpkin, but since I can't, I'll have to settle for store bought pumpkin seeds.

No comments: